Silgan Plastics Canada Policy on Customer Service Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities
Purpose: Silgan Plastics Canada is committed to excellence in servicing all customers and consumers including individuals with disabilities.
Scope: Applies to all employees of Silgan Plastics Canada
Reference: Ontario Human Rights Code Accessibility Ontario Disability Act
- Assistive devices: We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
- Communication: We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- Service animals: We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on our premises that are open to the public.
- Support persons: A person with a disability who is accompanies by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
- Notice of temporary disruption: In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities at any of our Ontario locations, Silgan Plastics Canada will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at the ground floor public lobby entrance to the affected location.
- Training for staff: Silgan Plastics Canada will provide initial and on-going training to all employees, and contract staff who are directly involved with the public or other third parties on our behalf. This training will also be provided to new or returning staff as part of Silgan Plastics Canada’s orientation program and will be completed by the first month after their hire date or as on-going training for existing staff. Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our accessibility customer service plan.
- Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use wheelchair lifts, etc., available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Silgan Plastics Canada’s goods and services
- Training will include:
- Feedback process: Customers who wish to provide questions, concerns or feedback on the way Silgan Plastics Canada provides goods and services to people with disabilities can e-mail, telephone, write or in another format that better meets the person’s communications needs. All feedback will be directed to The Canadian Human Resources Manager. Customer can expect acknowledgement of feedback within fifteen business days or receipt of their feedback.
- Modifications to this other policies: Silgan Plastics Canada is committed to ensuring that its customer service policies, practices and procedures respect and promote the dignity and independence of all persons with disabilities. Any policy of Silgan Plastics Canada that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or revoked.
Questions About This Policy?
This policy exists to achieve service excellence to customers with disabilities. If anyone wishes to receive a copy of the policy or has a question about the policy or if the purpose of this policy is not understood, please contact:
Human Resources Manager
Silgan Plastics Canada
400 Rowntree Dairy Road
Telephone: 416-746-8300 x4224